- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A Sepulchre by the Road between Rome and the Ponte Nomentana
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image width 276mm,
- image length 325mm
- laid paper with a horizontal crease around 60mm from its top edge
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne. delt. / Rome No.20 Decr. 12 1780”
- sheet, verso
- indistinct, but includes “Decr the 12th 1780 / [. . .] / Francis Towne”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “Rome / Drawn on the Spot / by / Francis Towne / 1780[in dark brown ink over scratched-out “Decr 12. 1780”] / From 2 O Clock till 4 / A Sepulchre by the Road side going from / Rome to Ponta Lamentana”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.14).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 139 as 'A Ruin by the road going to Ponte Lamentana'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 110
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 32, 124
- 1 John Robert Cozens, Sedia di Diavolo, 1780s (Agnews).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.