- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View from Martinelli's Vineyard
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour with gum
- image width 208mm,
- image length 268mm
- laid paper
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne. delt Rome / No.10. Novr. 2d. 1780’”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.10 / A View taken from Martinelli’s Vineyard / 2 miles from Rome going out of the Porta Pia, from 10 till 1 o Clock / Francis Towne delt. / Novr. 2d. 1780 [date in dark brown ink over scratched-out “Novr. 2d. 1780”]”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.10).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 138 as 'Going out of Porta Pia, Rome'
- Travels in Italy 1776-1783 based on the Memoirs of Thomas Jones, Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester, 1988, no. 34
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 124
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 109
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 62
- 1 Jones 1951, p.73, entry for 1 June 1778
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.