- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View in the New Forest
- Pencil (?), wash
- image width 273mm,
- image length 197mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / June 14th. 1800”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Sotheby’s records; Witt Library (image)
Sold by Dr Gregory at Sotheby’s at an unspecified date before 1949. At some point prior to Gregory the drawing was owned by H. C. Lawrence. By 1949 it was in the collection of T. H. Smythe (perhaps a relation—or a mistake for—Canon F. H. D. Smythe?), who sold it at Sotheby’s on 9 February 1955 for £50 to Walter Augustus Brandt (1902–1978). The drawing is thereafter untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Walter Augustus Brandt (1902 - 1978), 9 February 1955, GBP 50
- Sotheby's, London, London, 9 February 1955
- T. H. Smythe, 1949
- Dr Gregory
- H. C. Lawrence
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.