- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of Exeter, taken between Exwick and Cowley Bridge
- 1773 - 1787
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image width 216mm,
- image length 393mm
- on two sheets of paper, watermarked "WHATMAN"
- sheet, recto, lower left
- "F.Towne 1787. / delt"
- artist's mount, verso
- "A View of Exeter between Exwick, & Cowley bridge, / on the Hill looking towards Exeter, with the river on your left hand / this is the original outline, that the large picture was painted from / that was in the Exhibition 1773 / Francis Towne 1787". According to the Barton Place catalogue, the drawing is also numbered "1".
- Object Type
- Exeter from Exwick
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Barton Place catalogue, archives of Thomas Agnew & Sons
Museum's own information
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it reverted to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP204). Judith Merivale sold it to Colonel Ransom Pickard (1867–1953) for £5 in 1932, in which year Pickard presented it to its current owner, the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter.
- Associated People & Organisations
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945)
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928)
- Colonel Ransom Pickard (1867 - 1953)
- Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Exeter
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- Loan Exhibition of Works by Early Devon Painters Born Before the Year 1800, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1932, no. 117
- Loan Exhibition: English Watercolours and Drawings from Local Collections, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1949, no. 11
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 81
- Paintings and Drawings by Francis Towne and John White Abbott in the collection of Exeter Museums and Art Gallery, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1971, no. 7
- Early Devon Painters: Forty Years On, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1972, no. 52
- Francis Towne & John White Abbott: Paintings and Watercolours from the Exeter Museums and Art Gallery, Marble Hill House, 1973, no. 7
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 61-62, 133
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, pp. 100-101
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.