- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View taken from Oatlands
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, grey wash
- image width 267mm,
- image length 368mm
- paper with a vertical crease down its centre, watermarked with fleur-de-lis design and the letters “GR”
- sheet, verso
- “A View taken from Oatlands the seat of his Grace the Duke of / Newcastle / January the 22nd. 1782 settled with Michael Sanders Esqre. this Picture / the size to be 3 foot 8 inches by 2 foot 8 inches to have twenty five Guineas for it”
- in pencil until “Newcastle”, thereafter in pen, and numbered “84” according to the Barton Place catalogue
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Mellon Centre records (image); Agnew’s records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawings in May 1915 (BP184). In November 1933 Judith Merivale sold it to Squire Gallery for £6 10s., from whom it was bought in 1933 by James Byam Shaw (1903–1992), whose widow Christina bequeathed it to Adrian Eeles.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Adrian Eeles
- Christina Byam Shaw, 1992
Widow of James Byam Shaw
- James Byam Shaw (1903 - 1992), 1933
- Squire Gallery, November 1933, GBP 6.10s
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP184
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP184
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 128
- 1 Sarah’s father, the Exeter physician Michael Lee Dicker (1693–1752), was Samuel Dicker’s brother
- 2 Bentley 2004; Lysons 1800, p.306. A history of the bridge is also contained in “Notes and Queries”, 11S. VII, 8 March 1913, p.194, although this source has not yet been consulted fully. See also Annual Register for 1783, p.206.
- 3 Gomme 1893, p.90.
- 4 Royal Academy Library, HU2/120-1.
- 5 Paul Oppé records: letter from Emily Buckingham to Paul Oppé, 6 December 1918.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.