- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pen and ink, (?) grey and brown washes
- image width 278mm,
- image length 431mm
- sheet, verso
- “9th July 1777” and numbered “22”
- “J Villedary”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé notes; Barton Place catalogue
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in 1915 (BP111). Judith Merivale gave it in September 1934 to William Trevelyan Turner (b.1892), son of their cousin Henrietta Maria (“Hetty”) Turner, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- William Trevelyan Turner, September 1934
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP111
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP111
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.