- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Aiguebelle in Savoy
- Pen and grey ink, watercolour, scratching out, and showing evidence in the heavy washes of having been worked on late in life
- image width 210mm,
- image length 265mm
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked "WHATMAN". A pencil inscription on the verso of the mount, in the hand of Anthony Reed, states that the mount (now cut down) is watermarked 1820; if so, perhaps this refers to a later backing card.
- sheet, verso
- “Septr 14th 1780”
- (perhaps no longer visible)
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.48 Augibelle in Savoy drawn on the spot by Francis Towne Septr 4 1800”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Information at Sotheby's, London
Untraced until sold by Kenneth B. Henry at Sotheby’s on 9 December 1964, lot 43, for £350 jointly to the Fine Art Society and Agnew’s (Agnew’s no.J4716, Fine Art Society no.8144). On 27 October 1966 Agnew’s sold it to a collector. It was sold or offered for sale at Sotheby’s on 7 July 1983, lot 101, and sold at Christie’s on 10 (16?) July 1984, lot 100, where Michael Spratt bought it for £900. Later it was sold for £3,000 at Sotheby’s on 12 March 1987, lot 90. It was on sale in July 2009 at Andrew Wyld, who had recently brought it from New York.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Thomas Agnew & Sons
- Christie's, London
- The Fine Art Society, London
- Kenneth B. Henry
- Sotheby's, London
- Michael Spratt
- W S Fine Art
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 111 as 'Aiguebelle in ditto [ie Savoy]'
- 94th Annual Exhibition of Watercolours and Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1967, no. 55
- 108th Annual Exhibition of Watercolours and Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1981, no. 18
- unidentified exhibition, Michael Spratt, 1985, no. 13
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, pp. 54, 60
- Thomas Jones ed. Paul Oppé, 'Memoirs of Thomas Jones', The Walpole Society: London, 1951, p. 44
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.