- Merivale Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Francis Towne and an Unidentified Pupil: A View of Launceston from Newport
- No date
- Pen and brown ink, watercolour
- image width 222mm,
- image length 387mm
- mounted by the artist
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
Bequeathed by the artist to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), then to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale and his successors. It descended to Merivale’s granddaughter Frances Ann Laura Solly (b.1858). According to a note on the back of the drawing written by Paul Oppé on 9 August 1949, “This drawing was among those left by Towne to the Merivale Family. I saw it first with Mrs Solly at Exeter, one of the Merivale family. I took it to be Pars or an older drawing, perhaps Dutch.” At some point—and perhaps in 1949, which would explain why Oppé was called on to give an opinion then—it entered the collection of Sir Bruce Ingram, whose collector’s mark (Lugt 1405a) is on the back of the mount. It was offered for sale at Christie’s on 11 July 1989 and at Taylor’s of Honiton on 11 December 1998. It was sold at Lawrence’s of Crewkerne on 15 April 2011, lot 1785, as “circle of William Pars” to Abbott & Holder of Museum Street, London.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Abbott and Holder Ltd, London, 15 April 2011
- Lawrence of Crewkerne, Crewkerne, 15 April 2011, lot 1785
Sold as 'circle of William Pars.'
- Taylor's, Honiton, Honiton, 11 December 1998
- Christie's, London, London, 11 July 1989
- Sir Bruce Stirling Ingram (1877 - 1963), 9 August 1949
- Frances Ann Laura Solly (1858 - alive in 1932), Exeter
Paul Oppé first saw it with Mrs Solly at Exeter, one of the Merivale family.
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.