- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- ca. 1781
- Pencil (?), pen and grey ink, grey wash
- image length 322mm,
- [?] image width 322mm
- sheet, verso
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Barton Place catalogue; Paul Oppé records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP22a). Judith Merivale sold it in January 1936 to Squire Gallery for £4 10s., whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Squire Gallery, London, January 1936, GBP 4.10s
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP22a
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP22a
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.