- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Going to Vicovaro
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, grey/brown and blue washes
- image width 232mm,
- image length 321mm
- paper watermarked "J WHATMAN"
- “Going to / Castello Madamo Vicavasso / No.5 / April 22d. 1781 / Sun on the left hand setting behind the extreme distance / Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Agnew's records (image); Christie's records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuaty legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP7). Judith Merivale sold it in August 1933 to Emily Norrie (perhaps 1891–1973) of Pequot Avenue, New London, Connecticut, for £20. It was sold at Sotheby’s, New York, on 21 April 1971, lot 184, for $400 to Agnew’s (no.0596), who sold it on 15 January 1973 to a private collector (also FT265). It is thereafter untraced apart from its sale at Christie’s, London, on 11 November 1997, lot 53, probably by the collector’s estate. Now in the collection of Winchester College.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Winchester College, 2016
- Christie's, London, London, 11 November 1997, lot 53
- Private Collection, 15 January 1973
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 21 April 1971, USD 400, no.0596
- Sotheby's, London, New York, 21 April 1971, lot 184
- Emily Norrie (1891 - 1973), New London, Connecticut, August 1933, GBP 20
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP7
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP7
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.