- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Head of Lake Geneva
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, grey and blue washes
- image width 264mm,
- image length 379mm
- "Head of the Lake of Geneva taken at Vevey / No.2 Septr. 11th 1781 / Francis Towne"
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP79 or 81). In 1936 Judith Merivale sold it to Squire Gallery, where it was bought by Agnes Lupton (1874–1950) and Norman Darnton Lupton (1875–1953) of Hyde Crook, Dorchester, Dorset, who bequeathed it to the current owner, Leeds City Art Gallery (13.211/53).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds, 1953, 13.211/53
- Agnes Lupton (1874 - 1950), Dorchester, 1936
- Norman Darnton Lupton (1875 - 1953), Dorchester, 1936
- Squire Gallery, London, 1936
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP79 or 81
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP79 or 81
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- British Watercolours 1760-1930 from the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Arts Council of Great Britain, 1980, no. 94
- The Great Age of British Watercolours 1750-1880, Royal Academy of Arts, 1993, no. 273
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds Art Calendar, No. 26: Leeds, 1954, p. 10
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 131
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.