- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- In the Valley of the Grisons looking on Tusis
- Near Thusis, Grison, Switzerland: Morning (1781)
- The Valley of the Glison
- Pencil, pen and black and grey inks, watercolour with gum, scratching out
- image width 288mm,
- image length 467mm
- paper watermarked 'C&I HONIG'
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked 'WHATMAN 1794'
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne delt / No.19 1781”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.19 / In the Valley of the Grisons looking on Tusis [“1781” scratched out] / in the morning drawn by Francis Towne on the Spot”
- with “Tusis” gone over partly in dark brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Untraced until sold anonymously at Foster’s on 27 July 1910, lot 151 (a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793, FT862), for 25s. to Paul Oppé (1878–1957; no.47). On 11 December 1947 Oppé swapped the drawing with Colnaghi for another (no.A14994), and the same day Colnaghi sold it for £120 to Gilbert Davis (1899–1983), who sold it back to Colnaghi (no.A20200) on 1 June 1954, where on the same day it was bought for £300 by William Wycliffe Spooner (1882–1967), who bequeathed it in 1967 to the present owner, The Courtauld Gallery, London (D.1967.WS.91).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Courtauld Gallery, London, London, 1967, D.1967.WS.91
- William Wycliffe Spooner (1882 - 1967), 1 June 1954, GBP 300
- P&D Colnaghi & Co, London, London, 1 June 1954, no.A20200
- Gilbert Davis (1899 - 1983), 11 December 1947, GBP 120
- P&D Colnaghi & Co, London, London, 11 December 1947, no.A14994
- Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957), London, 27 July 1910, GBP 25s, no.47
- Foster's auctioneers (1883 - 1940), 27 July 1910, lot 151
Sold as a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793, FT862
- Exhibition History
- The Fiftieth Annual Exhibition of Selected Water Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1923, no. 95 as 'Near Thusis, Grison, Switzerland: Morning (1781)'
- Annual Exhibition of Water-Colours & Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1934, no. 76 as 'The Valley of the Glison 1781'
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 23
- The William Spooner Collection and Bequest, Courtauld Gallery, 1968, no. 17
- Masters of the Watercolour: Watercolours from the Spooner Collection, Holburne of Menstruie Museum, 1969, no. 68
- English Watercolours: the Spooner Collection and Bequest, City Art Gallery, 1973, no. 52
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 150
- William Coxe, Travels in Switzerland in a Series of Letters to William Melmouth Esq, T. Cadell: London, 1789, vol 3, p. 172
- 1 Coxe 1789, vol.3, p.172.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.