- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- In the Villa Barberini
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour with gum, scratching out
- image width 270mm,
- image length 369mm
- laid paper with an indistinct watermark
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / delt. 1781 / No52[inscribed over another “No52”]”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Rome / No52 in the Villa Barberini / Drawn on the Spot / by / Francis Towne / [“May 26th 1781” scratched out] 1781 [the year in dark brown ink] / Evening light coming through the / Trees on the left hand”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.22).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 146 or 147 as 'In the Villa Barberini'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1934, no. 420
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 28
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 202
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 126
- Henri Lemaitre, Le Paysage Anglais a l'Aquarelle 1760-1951, Bordas: Paris, 1955, p. 156
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 113
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.