- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Inside the Colosseum
- ca. 1780
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image width 472mm,
- image length 319mm
- laid paper, with a horizontal crease across its centre
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne del / No.25 / Rome”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.25 Inside of the Coloseo from 2 till 5 O Clock / Rome. Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.30).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 164, 165, 166, 167 or 168 as 'Inside of the Coliseo; this edifice is of Travertina stone'; or 169 or 171 as 'Inside of the Coliseo'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 19
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 200
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 125
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.