- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Inside the Colosseum
- Inside of the Colosseum from the Emperor's seat, looking towards the Palatine Hill
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image width 318mm,
- image length 471mm
- laid paper with a fleur de lis watermark and a vertical crease down its centre
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne delt / Rome. 1781 / No.11”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.11 / Inside the Coloseo taken from the Emperor’s seat / looking towards the Palatine Mount ad Sepolchro de Cajo Cestio from 11 till 2 O Clock / Rome Francis Towne delt.”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.17).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 164, 165, 166, 167 or 168 as 'Inside of the Coliseo; this edifice is of Travertina stone'; or 169 or 171 as 'Inside of the Coliseo'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Pa Klassik Mark - Malare I Rom pa 1780-talet, Stockholm National Museum, 1982, no. 205
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 17
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 79, 124
- 1 Nicolas-Didier Boguet, Colosseum, ca. 1783 (Hornsby 2002).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.