- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Kenilworth Castle
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 180mm,
- image length 255mm
- sheet, verso
- “No.6 / Kennelworth Castle / August 28th. 1813. from 11 till ½ past one / Francis Towne delt”
- Part of
- 1813 Sketchbook
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Sotheby’s records; Christie’s records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1745–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 as part of a sketchbook containing FT752 to FT764, which they sold in 1927 to Walker’s Galleries for £60. It was offered for sale at Christie’s on 10 July 1984. It was sold again at Sotheby’s on 13 July 1989, lot 101, for £1,200, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Sotheby's, London, London, 13 July 1989, lot 101
- Christie's, London, London, 10 July 1985
- Walker's Galleries, London, 1927, GBP 60
Within a sketchbook containing FT752 to FT764.
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.