- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- ca. 1780 - 1781
- Pencil, pen and ink, washes
- image height 216mm,
- image length 279mm
- paper watermarked with a fleur de lis design with the letters "GR"
- sheet, verso
- “Martinelly” and numbered “10”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP2), whereafter it is untraced (although as the Barton Place catalogue has no mention of its sale, it may well have been retained until Judith Merivale’s death). It was acquired by Lowell Libson from an auction at Stride & Sons, Chichester, in late 2010 and from its framing looked very much like it had been a Squire drawing; two other watercolours from Squire were also sold at the same auction.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Lowell Libson, London, 2010
- Lowell Libson
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945)
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928)
- Private Collection
- Stride & Sons, Chichester
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1934, no. 299
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 202
- Adrian Bury, 'Some Italian Views by Francis Towne', The Connoisseur, No. VLCII: London, 1938, p. 13
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 126
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.