- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Near the Arco Oscuro
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image width 319mm,
- image length 470mm
- laid paper with a vertical crease down its centre
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne delt. Rome / Novr. 25.- 1780. No.15.”
- in black ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.15. / Near the Arco Scuro. looking towards [“May 7th. 1781” scratched out] / the Villa Medici / Rome. Francis Towne delt. / Mrs. J. Fortescue. of Buckland House Devonshire / had a copy of this [“Janry 1786” scratched out]”
- all in brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.21).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 154, 155 or 156 as 'Near the Arco Oscuro'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 200
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 124
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 67
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.