- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Near the Arco Scuro, looking into the Villa Borghese
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour with gum
- image width 328mm,
- image length 304mm
- laid paper with a vertical crease around 60mm from its left edge
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “No.18 / F.Towne / delt 1780 / Rome”
- in brown ink partially obscured with white gouache
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.18 Rome / A View near the Arco scuro, looking into the Villa Borghese. /drawn by Francis Towne / [“Decr. 1st. 1780” scratched out] / The Villa Borghese lies a quarter of a mile from the Porta Pinciana, / & is entirely inclosed within a wall five Italian Miles in Circuit”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.24).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 153 as 'Looking into the Villa and Borghese Park, taken near the Arco Oscuro'
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 20
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 200
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 124
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.