- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Near the Source of the Rhine
- View in the Grisons near the source of the Rhine
- A view near the source of the Rhine
- No date
- canvas width 762mm,
- canvas width 635mm
- Object Type
- Oil painting
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- 1808 British Institution catalogue; 1788 Royal Academy catalogue
Unknown, but perhaps in the collection of Reginald Merivale (1852–1937) in ca. 1915.
- Associated People & Organisations
- [?] Reginald Merivale (1852 - 1937), 1915
- [?] John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- [?] James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] The Exhibition of the Royal Academy, Royal Academy of Arts, 1788, no. 171 as 'View in the Grisons near the source of the Rhine'
- Works of British artists placed in the Gallery of the British Institution, Pall-Mall for exhibition and Sale, British Institution, 1808, no. 305 as 'A view near the source of the Rhine, measuring 762 x 635mm'
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 47
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.