- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- On the Banks of the Tiber near Ponte Molle
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour with gum
- image width 208mm,
- image length 269mm
- laid paper with an indistinct watermark
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne. delt. Rome. /Octr. 17.1780. No.3”
- in black ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.3 / On the Banks of the Tyber near Ponte Molle. / Francis Towne delt. / from 10 o Clock till 1 / Rome [indistinct date scratched out] Octr 17.1780”
- in dark brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.03).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 137 as 'Banks of the Tyber, Sabine Mountains in the distance'; or 145, On the banks of the Tyber near Ponte Molle'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 123
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 120
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 109
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 55
- 1 British Museum, 1981,0516.17.33; P. Chiarini, ed., Goethe a Roma: disegni e aquerelli da Weimar (Rome, 1988), no.36.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.