- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Part of the Ancient Roman Wall between Porta Salara and Porta Pinciana
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour with gum
- image height 207mm,
- image length 271mm
- laid paper
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne delt. Rome / Octr 31st. 1780. No.6”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.6 / Part of the antient Roman wall between Porta Salasa & Porta Pinciana / with St. Peters in the Distance & the Villa of Count Peruchi on the right hand / Francis Towne delt. / from 3 O Clock till ½ past 5 / in the afternoon / Octr 3d. 1780 [the date inscribed in dark brown ink over the earlier scratched-out “Oct 31st 1780.”]”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.06).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 142 as 'Roman Wall between Porta Salaro and Porta Pinciano near the Arco Scuro'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 123
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 120
- 1 John Robert Cozens, View near the Porta Pinciana, 1780 (Sotheby’s).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.