- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Poughill, near Bude, Cornwall
- Launceston Devon Landscape
- Launceston, Cornwall
- No date
- Pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image width 137mm,
- image length 213mm
- sheet, verso
- “Pough Hill, near Bude in Cornwall”
- on the basis of the title it has been given when on sale
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Agnew's records (image)
Untraced until 24 July 1945, when it was bought as “Launceston Devon Landscape” by the Fine Art Society (no.4116) from Mr Ringer (however, the entry describing this transaction in the Fine Art Society stock book is crossed out). The identity of Mr Ringer is unknown, but as on the same day he seems also to have sold the Fine Art Society a drawing (61) that had recently been owned by Judith Merivale (1860–1945; see also 480), the likelihood is that this work came from the same source. It may well have been among a parcel sold from Judith Merivale’s collection in 1945 to Squire Gallery, much of which was sold shortly afterwards to the Fine Art Society, where in 1946 a “small” view of Launceston was on sale. On 27 November 1946 the drawing was sold to Lieutenant Colonel Eugene John O’Meara of Bournemouth (d.1962) and is thereafter untraced until sold—presumably by his estate—at Sotheby’s on 20 November 1963, lot 36, as Launceston, Cornwall for £270 jointly to the Fine Art Society and Agnew’s (Agnew’s no.J3656, Fine Art Society no.7856). On 20 January 1964 Agnew’s sold the drawing to a collector (see also 701), the Fine Art Society selling its share to Agnew’s retrospectively on 30 April 1964 for £175. It remained in a private collection until 1997 and was again on sale at Agnew’s the following year.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1998
- Private Collection, 20 January 1964
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 20 November 1963, GBP 270, no.J3656
Acquired jointly with the Fine Art Society
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 20 November 1963, GBP 270, no.7856
Jointly acquired with Agnew's
- Sotheby's, London, London, 20 November 1963, lot 36
Listed as 'Launceston, Cornwall'
- Lieutenant Colonel Eugene John O'Meara (1874 - 1962), Bournemouth, 27 November 1946
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 24 July 1945, no.4116
- Mr Ringer
- [?] Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915
- [?] Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915
- [?] John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- [?] James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Winter Exhibition of Early English Watercolours and Drawings, Fine Art Society, 1946, no. 114 as 'Launceston'
- Autumn Exhibition of Early English Water-Colours and Drawings (2nd ed), Fine Art Society, 1946, no. 121
- 91st Annual Exhibition of Water-Colours and Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1964, no. 59 as Launceston
- English Watercolours: Drawings and Small Oil Paintings: Agnew's 125th Annual Exhibition, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1998, no. 15
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.