- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Raven Crag and Part of Thirlmere
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour, gum
- image width 156mm,
- image length 235mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower centre
- “No31 / F.Towne / delt 1786”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Light from the left hand / 12 o Clock / No.31. / Raven Cragg with part of Thirlmere Lake / in the Vale of St. John. in Cumberland / Drawn by Francis Towne / [“August 17th.1786” scratched out] / London / [“Leicester Square / 17. . .” scratched out]”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing in 1915 and she sold it on 10 (according to Agnew’s) June 1921 to Agnew’s (no.9975) for £30, where it was bought on 7 (both Agnew’s and museum) June 1921 by the Friends of the Fitzwilliam (for £75 with FT459) on behalf of the current owner, the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (PDP, 1052).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Fitzwilliam Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, 7 June 1921, £75, with FT459
Acquired by the Friends of the Fitzwilliam.
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 10 June 1921, GBP 30, no.9975
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 73 as 'Raven Cragg at Wyburn Lake'
- Beauty, Horror, Immensity, Fitzwilliam Museum, 1981, no. 119
- Peter Bicknell, British Hills and Mountains: 1947, repr (no plate no)
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 30, 129
- Luke Herrmann, British Landscape Painting of the 18th Century, Faber: London, 1973, p. 78
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 119
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.