- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- St Maria Nuova with the Temple of Venus and Rome
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image width 317mm,
- image length 327mm
- paper with watermark with a Fleur de lis within coronet design, and a crease along upper part of paper
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / No42. 1781”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.42 / St. Maria Nuova with the / Temple of the Sun & Moon. taken from the Coloseo [“June 27th 1781” scratched out] Rome. Francis Towne. delt.”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.15).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 170 as 'St.Maria Nuova, and the Ruins of the Temple of the Sun, and Arch of Titus'
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 29
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 201
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 126
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 121
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, pp. 113-114
- 1 Pars’s version, dated 1781, is at the Yale Center for British Art.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.