- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Arch of Septimus Severus
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image height 322mm,
- image length 719mm
- two sheets watermarked with a fleur de lis and coronet design
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “No49 / F.Towne / July.18.1781” and, background left on building, “white”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Rome / No.49 Arcus Septimis Severi / [“July [. . .] th[. . .]” scratched out] / Francis Towne / In almost a direct line from the Coloseo & and the arch of Constantine / you go under the arch of Titus over the Campus Vaccinus to the / capitol this way leads you through the Triumphal Arch of / Septimus Severus & Marcus Aurelius which is situated / near the back front of the Capitol; it consists of three / arches composed of Grecian Marble”
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1818 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn,3.10).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 185 as 'Arch of Septimus Severus, in the Forum, with the Temple of Concord, near the back front of the Capitol'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 203
- Thomas Ashby, Forty drawings of Roman scenes by British artists (1715-1850) from originals in the British Museum, British Museum: London, 1911, p. 13
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 88, 127
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 121
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 113
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 80
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.