- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Tivoli above the Fall of the Anio
- At Tivoli, above the Falls
- Pencil, pen and black and grey inks, watercolour with gum, scratching out
- image height 302mm,
- image length 495mm
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked "J WHATMAN 1794"
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne / delt / 1781”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Italy / No37 At Tivoli above the Fall of the Anio / drawn by Francis Towne on the / Spot 1781[in dark brown ink over “May 16th 1781”].”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Wilcox 1997 (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White (1744–1825), who gave it in 1818 to the present owner, the British Museum (Nn,3.16).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum, London, 1818, Nn,3.16
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 27
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 203
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.