- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Two Miles from Rome, going out at Porta Salara
- View near Rome, two miles from the Porta Salaria
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour with gum
- image width 208mm,
- image length 267mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne delt. Rome / Octr 30.1780 No.9”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.9 2 Miles from Rome going out at Porta Salasa [“Oct 21st, 1780” scratched out] from ½ past 2 o Clock till 5 / Francis Towne delt. / Oct 30. 1780 [the date in dark brown ink]”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.09).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 144 as 'From a Vineyard looking towards Frescati, going out of the Porta Salaro'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 123
- 1 John “Warwick” Smith, Outside Porta Pia, ca. 1777–78 (www.tate.org.uk).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.