- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Underneath Knowle Hill
- ca. 1780 - 1790
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image width 159mm,
- image length 200mm
- paper watermarked with a Britannia design
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, verso
- “Underneath Nowle Hill / Francis Towne delt”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP219). In 1945 Judith Merivale sold it to the Fine Art Society, where on 24 April 1945 it was sold for £31 10s. to J. Hawkesley Elliott of Sheffield (d. ca. 197). It was probably Elliott who sold the drawing at Christie’s on 9 November 1976, lot 72, for £350 to a purchaser, who (or whose heirs) sold it at Christie’s on 18 November 2004, lot 97, for £3,585 including fees.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 18 November 2004, GBP 3585
- Christie's, London, London, 18 November 2004, lot 97
- Private Collection, 9 November 1976, GBP 350
- Christie's, London, London, 9 November 1976, lot 72
- Joseph Hawksley Elliot (1884 - 1978), Sheffield, 24 April 1945, GBP 31.10s
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 1945
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP219
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP219
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Donn 1965, pl.7b.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.